Kaua‘i is known for its astonishing ability to grow and harvest produce all year round. Of course this comes as no surprise with its warm weather and sunny tropical climate. As many of our local chefs and farmers can tell you, Kaua‘i is the ideal place to grow. As winter begins to fade away (what little “winter” we did have) we welcome the buds, blossoms and breath of fresh air that is spring time.
It is rather easy to figure out which vegetables and fruits are in season. Simply visit one of our many weekly farmer’s markets to see firsthand which crops are producing the freshest and most delicious produce. Of course, you can always count on The Farm to offer a bountiful harvest.
Below are the fruits and vegetables to look for this spring (and for a more in depth look at some of our specialty species take a look at 10 Hawaiian Fruits You’ve Never Heard Of). If no dates provided below, that item is available year round. Lucky us!
- Avocados – September through April
- Bananas – peak June through October but are harvested year-round
- Celery – peak April through August but are harvested February through October
- Ginger – February through November
- Green beans
- Green onions
- Herbs (Parsley, Mint, Cilantro, Basil)
- Limes – June through March
- Luau (Taro leaf)
- Lychees – peak May through September but are harvested year-round
- Mangoes – March through November
- Melons (Watermelon, Cantaloupes, Honeydews) – May through September
- Apples – June into October
- Rambutans – October through March
- Squash – June through March
- Strawberries – peak January through April but are harvested October through July
- Starfruit – September through April
- Sweet Potatoes
- Tangerines – September through February
For more information about seasonal produce, be sure to stop by our weekly Culinary Market. Found at The Shops at Kukui‘ula every Wednesday from 3:30pm – 6:00pm.